A very warm holiday greeting from the blog-o-sphere!Each year, Amy and I consider doing a family letter but like most everything else in our life, time flies by faster than we can decide what to do. OK, the truth is we don't ever do a letter because I can never get my act together (there, that feels better).
So this year we're going to give it a try. In fact, while we are dreaming of a "white" Christmas, we are also dreaming of a "green" Christmas. That's right, "green", as in "going green", as in save the planet "green" - turn off all your lights, drive a smart car, and live in a house made of recycled cardboard. And as such we're doing our first Christmas letter as a Christmas blog. We figure by 2010 we'll have a FaceBook page and by 2012 we'll have a Twitter account as well (MySpace is so yesterday!). Actually, I already have all that - it's Amy who is petitioning for a "no technology night" in our house. I told her to send me a text message if she wants to discuss it further.
Well, its the Christmas season - the time of year when we reflect on another year gone by, and to appreciate once again how much we have to be thankful for. And in a time when the financial markets suffer from an identity crisis, it's a healthy reminder that our "wealth" is not solely measured in dollars. We are truly "rich" because we have you all in our circles of influence.
And now, to the family updates...
Meredith (now 7) is an independent spirit and is going strong. In addition to High School Musical (number 1, 2 and 3) and Grease,
Meredith's obsessions - I mean hobbies - include swimming, ballet, gymnastics, skating and of course school (2nd grade). She says she aspires to be a lifeguard, a veterinarian and an Olympic gymnast. Rock on, Garth! Meredith is no stranger to the computer either - feel free to email her at meredith@makecfhistory.com.Nicholas (almost 5) is a sensitive sole, and is strangely addicted to anything that involves a scoreboard and a winner and a loser. This year,
in one form or another, Nicholas picked up: baseball, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, golf, tennis, football, hockey, boxing and wrestling. However, in light of his genetically-induced vertical constraints (he's going to be short like Amy and I), he'll either need to be really smart or really good at soccer. Or both. Nicholas is also "Rain Man-esque" with numbers, doing long addition on demand. Neither Amy nor I know where this trait comes from. He deeply admires his big sister and is the undisputed "best hugger" of the family.This year we also added 2 new family members to the mix - Bella and Gretzky.
They are brother and sister and couldn't be cuter. Our theory was that if we got siblings they could teach each other how to be "cats" - so far, so good. And they have the tolerance of angels as we're still coaching Nicholas and Meredith that cats don't like to be tackled nor do they like to do handstands and cartwheels.As for Amy and I - we had another year filled with family, friends, and a little bit of travel.
We made our annual trek to South Carolina to see Nana (Chad's mom) in the spring; we saw many of Amy's relatives at the Carey Cousin family reunion; we went to Italy in May with our friends Joe and Amy Clemente (that's us on the Spanish Steps in Rome); and of course, Lakeside in the summer with friends and family. I am still "working for the man" at Nationwide. As easy as it is to complain about the dysfunctions of corporate life, Nationwide has been very good to me and I have learned a great deal - both professionally and personally. And as a closet Entrepreneur,
I continue to get my "fill" from my various Internet projects which keep me busy and constantly learning. I also started playing hockey again, and this summer I even played softball. Although, it was a bit depressing to learn that I led the leagues in injuries, injury time-outs, and days on the Disabled List. I think I wear more bandages than I do equipment. Amy continues to excel at her position as my CRO (Chief Reality Officer), in addition to keeping our home life in order. Without her the kids, cats and I would undoubtedly starve, not have a clue where to be and be late once we get there, walk around in dirty clothes, have to resort to paper and plastic, and wouldn't have a clue why our checks bounce (just like college). When she's not keeping us all in line, Amy continues to enjoy her tennis and working out.Lastly, for your viewing and listening pleasure, we invite you to watch the video below of U2 (shocking, I know) covering the classic Holiday song "I Believe in Father Christmas". May the "Dream of Christmas" stay with you now and always - Enjoy!!
"I wish you a hopeful Christmas,
I wish you a brave New Year.
All anguish pain and sadness,
Leave your heart and let your road be clear"
Chad, Amy, Meredith and Nicholas (and Bella and Gretzky)
No comments:
Post a Comment